Scottish Health Innovations Ltd (SHIL) works in partnership with NHS Scotland to identify, protect, develop and commercialise new innovations from healthcare professionals. Registered Number: SC 236303. Registered address: The Golden Jubliee National Hospital, Fourth Floor East, Agmemmon St, Clydebank, G81 4DY
News & Events
Stay up to date with latest activity at SHIL
Vacancy: Innovation Manager
We are inviting expressions of interest for the role of Innovation Manager for Scottish Health Innovations Ltd (SHIL).
Title: Innovation Manager
Reports to: Head of Innovation
Base: Flexible; can be based anywhere throughout the Scottish central belt. Candidate will support health boards across Scotland and will hot-desk at various board locations as required.
Hours: Full time, 35 hours per week. Payscale NHS Band 7 equivalent.
Closing date: Friday 03 August 2018
SHIL is a Scottish Government-funded not-for-profit organisation that works on behalf of NHS Scotland to protect, develop and commercialise inventions, innovations and intellectual property generated by NHS Scotland staff and ensure a financial return to NHS Scotland boards. Innovation Managers (IMs) are responsible for identifying intellectual property from NHS Scotland staff. Once identified, the IM will then be responsible for evaluating the feasibility of the disclosure and producing proposals for further development where appropriate.
IMs work closely with SHIL’s project management team to ensure that IP selected for further development has the best chance of successful commercialisation. The role will also include advising and educating NHS staff on innovation, raising awareness of SHIL and SHIL activities across NHS Scotland and implementing strategies to maximise the engagement with NHS staff, including participating in events and presenting SHIL to clinical audiences.
Candidates should be educated to degree level in a relevant discipline or have equivalent experience. Ideally, the candidate should have knowledge and working experience of the NHS and we particularly welcome applications from those with a background in nursing, AHPs or other sectors of the NHS. We also welcome applications from those with a background in academic or industry technology transfer and who have particular experience in commercialising innovations from healthcare, life science or biotechnology sectors.
Candidates should have a passion for innovation and the ability to engage with healthcare professionals at all levels to provide high-quality advice and support.
|Project management skills||E|
|Understanding of the role of innovative technology in business success||E|
|Experience of engaging with staff at all levels in the healthcare sector||D|
|Understanding and dissemination of complex technical data||E|
|Evaluating and assessing market and commercial data||D|
|Ability to undertake detailed market analysis in technology-based industries||D|
|Experience of negotiating complex legal agreements||D|
|Experience of licensing IP||D|
|Understanding of IP protection and the patenting process||D|
|Previous experience in technology transfer||D|
|Adaptability / Flexibility||E|
|Planning and Organising||E|
|Continuous Personal Development||E|
|Problem Solving and Decision Making Skills||E|
|Creative and Analytical Thinking||E|
|Influencing, Persuasion and Negotiation Skills||E|
|Strategic Thinking & Leadership||D|
|Special requirements||Essential / Desirable|
|Willingness to travel extensively and regularly throughout Scotland (full driver’s license and access to fully insured car essential)||E|
|Occasional travel to rest of U.K. and overseas||E|
|Occasional work out-with core hours||E|
To carry out innovation development activities in accordance with agreed objectives.
- Implement strategies to maximise the number of innovative disclosures from NHS Scotland
- Present SHIL to NHS staff and educate staff on IPR and product development
- Identify and meet with potential inventors and innovators in order to maximise the number of new disclosures
- Liaise closely with health board R&D departments and local innovation champions and scouts to identify ways of maximising disclosure numbers
- Assess and report new disclosures to the SHIL assessment panel.
Duties and responsibilities
Promotion of SHIL
- To promote the Company to NHS staff and other relevant organisations
- To deliver the Company presentation to relevant groups
- To work with Health Board R&D department to further promote the work of SHIL
- To liaise with SHIL communications team and health board communications departments to promote the SHIL brand and raise awareness among health board staff
- To educate NHS staff and others about Intellectual Property
- Attend trade shows as required
- Travel within the UK and abroad as required.
Inventors and innovators
- To identify and meet with potential inventors and innovators across NHS Scotland
- To identify disclosures in line with Health Board targets
- To create and maintain good working relationships with the local R&D offices and provide a consistently high-quality SHIL service
- To present the company and what it offers in a professional manner
- To carry out joint visits with other members of the SHIL innovation development team when required.
Assessment of ideas
- To carry out initial assessment of new disclosures
- To present relevant disclosures to the SHIL assessment panel for consideration
- To provide reports to line manager in an agreed format and in agreed timescales.
- Work closely with project management team on preparing detailed evaluations of disclosures
- Provide necessary information for the project management team when a disclosure is selected for commercialisation.
- To ensure the SHIL database is kept up to date with respect to disclosure activities
- To record and provide records in whatever form requested so that SHIL is able to comply with funding requirements
- To keep timesheets
- To continue to develop knowledge and expertise through appropriate personal development and training
- Carry out other duties as required.
For any queries, or to submit your covering letter and CV, please contact Lyndsey Wilson, email@example.com.